Sunday, November 16, 2008

Some Glitches

I have said this before and I’ll say it again that I have been amazed by the power of technology. One of my favorite hangouts is Friendster. Surprisingly, the site has been down for a week now. Too bad, I have relied so much on the site that I missed to greet my friends on their birthday. The site is so popular with Asians specially in the Philippines that even my Mom had one, haha! I’m just so glad for the creator of the website; people like me had been enjoying connecting with long-lost friends from childhood, old neighbors, high school, college and old officemates, roommates, or friends in Taiwan. When I started joining as I was invited by my friend, I was so shocked that there are a lot of things to catch up with my sweet friends. Well, here’s the explanation for the incident.

•What caused this problem?
There was a building-wide power outage at the QTS / Globix data center in Sunnyvale, California, USA where Friendster’s servers are co-located, along with about 50 other customers. As a result, the memory caching of data was affected. Since Friendster has 85 million users, the cache is taking a considerable amount of time to build. Once the cache has been completely built, all friends will re-appear.
Shawie

0 Grateful Heart's Words: