Thursday, July 24, 2008

Where's my Paradise?

It wasn’t long ago when our island was so peaceful. People go to bed as early as 8PM where it’s damn dark and the silence was deafening. The crime rate was so low that we often don’t respect the police officers. When I was a kid, I remembered seeing them just sitting, talking and laughing outside their office. There’s not much to do as there’s no crime or any trouble. It was just a picture of paradise. The people lived harmoniously, being contented and happy.

Then, progress came along and with it comes a lot of trouble that people are not used to or even prepared after all. I mean, it’s pretty rare that you would hear somebody being shot, killed or being put to jail. It’s just so sad to let go of all the images I have put together when I was a little girl of the small town where I grew up. Things are not the same obviously.

Yesterday, my Mom told me the story of a neighbor that was caught by the NBI for being involved in a drug trafficking while another neighbor died mysteriously. Last month, I heard news about another neighbor shot and killed in front of their house. While it’s understandable that during economic crisis- crime rate is high. Not only that, even prostitution too. The worse part though is you know how they make their living and you can’t help but just close your eyes and pretend it doesn’t exist. It’s just so sad to see this whole thing coming.

As what John Lennon had sang:
"You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one."

Shawie

5 Grateful Heart's Words:

escape said...

kakalungkot naman nito. sana nga hindi na lalala.

escape said...

kakalungkot naman. sana hindi na lalala.

SHIELA said...

talaga sha? gubot na pod diay sa inyong isla? kaguol sa?

Shawie said...

yap, it's too bad but these kind of things can't last that long in the island basically because all people know each other and you can't hide any secrets at all...
the worse part though- is you knew all these people that are invloved, you knew them by heart...before they fell off the wagon...

Selerines said...

"You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one." - Nice lines to read....