Thursday, July 3, 2008

Sweet Lullaby

I always think of myself as a person who’s born on the wrong era. I loved Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra and folk songs. Last night, we were watching the show “Singing Bee” on The Filipino Channel where the theme is all about folk songs. My husband was so fascinated with the songs, the rhythms and costumes. He was so curious about all the traditional attires and the culture itself.

It wasn’t long ago when courtship is such a big deal in the Philippines. The guy puts a tremendous effort just to gain the heart of the lady. Oh yeah, the Shakespearean style! One of the popular ways of courting is through “Harana”. It’s a traditional form of courtship music in which a man woos a woman by serenading her underneath her window at night. It is widely practiced in many parts of the Philippines with a set of protocols, a code of conduct, and a specific style of music. The main instrument used for Harana is the guitar, played by the courter.

(Picture Courtesy of TAGALOG LANG.com)
Well, it’s still been practiced in our island way back my high school days. When my cousins came to stay for the summer vacation- there were guys serenading them. I can still remember the excitement they feel when they hear the guy singing and telling- how special they are, hahaha! It was funny because they don’t have it in their place and all they thought was it’s just a myth. I even remembered how my Auntie was so pissed that she threw water at the guys because she doesn’t want her daughter to be courted. Oh, those good, old days!

4 Grateful Heart's Words:

Selerines said...

Can you send any link to download some melody philippine songs?

Mira said...

Hmmm, we must have come from the same era, LOL. I love Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennette. I've got CD collection of classic oldies sang by Rod Stewart. I never get tired of listening to that kind of tune there is something in their voices that captivates my whole being ;-)
Random Thoughts
Mira's Web Journal
A Moment to Exhale
Time of Respite
My Kitchen Table

Shawie said...

@selerines: I'll try to get a link when we get back from holiday:)
@Mira - I believe we're on d same era,LOL! My bros used to tease me for that:) hapi 4th of July!

escape said...

we still do it but in a modern way.