Thursday, December 4, 2008

Give Love on Christmas

Last year, one of the parishioners at St. Timothy’s had made a deal with the parish that he will donate 30grand as long as the Parish can double the amount that he’s going to give before Christmas. The purpose of the fund raising is to reduce the debt of the parish. So there were 2 collections for every Sunday masses and after 4 weeks- we were not just able to raise the money but doubled the targeted amount. Isn’t that great?

Last Sunday started the Advent season. In Catholic Church, the word Advent is from the Latin adventus for "coming" and is associated with the four weeks of preparation for Christmas. Advent always contains four Sundays, beginning on the Sunday nearest the feast of St. Andrew the Apostle, (November 30) and continuing until December 24. It blends together a penitential spirit, very similar to Lent, a liturgical theme of preparation for the Second and Final Coming of the Lord, called the Parousia, and a joyful theme of getting ready for the Bethlehem event.

Christmas is very important to me. I don’t want that feeling to go away whenever I hear any Christmas songs. It’s the same feeling I have felt ever since I remember. There’s a great joy, serenity, peace and hope that somehow uplift my spirit. It’s a magical feeling of excitement as if there’s somebody that is coming! I can’t believe I still feel the same way like I was a kid.

There was a Christmas tree full of wishes in the church last Sunday. After the mass, the priest (Msgr. John) invited everyone to pick whatever they want. I thought I’d pick two, one for me and one for my husband. Here’s what we got:

Wishing all of you wonderful and merry holidays!
Shawie

3 Grateful Heart's Words:

Debbie Petras said...

Don't you just love when Advent begins? In my church, each Sunday up to Christmas, our pastor lights another candle with help from the children. He teaches them and us about what this means and how the evergreen wreath stands for everlasting life. I love getting in touch with the true reason for the season; the birth of Jesus. I hope that we will continue that same spirit throughout the year. Blessings to you and your family!

earthlingorgeous said...

:) The advent candle is being lighted already :) and it will be four Sundays before Christmas! Thanks for this wonderful story and info.

Since you are such in a holiday spirit I give you this award: http://earthlyexplorations.blogspot.com/2008/12/how-to-prioritize-on-gift-giving.html.

Happy Holidays!

Shawie said...

thanks guys for the wonderful comments:)