Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Tender Keeper

As far as I can remember, I always start my day with my head bowed down, eyes closed and a simple whisper “Thank you God for everything”. After a while, it has become a second nature to me. Sometimes, I felt like I didn’t mean it anymore. That’s when I asked myself, what is it really that I’m thankful about? I’d searched within me and couldn’t even think of any reasons except I’m grateful for being alive. I realized living with a feeling of gratitude for nothing in particular and everything altogether will fill you with a sense of abundance, despite of your tangible possessions.

Yes, viewpoint is something we all discern and experience in our daily lives. There are events which bring different responses in all of us, which oftentimes; you just can’t despise any of these as incorrect.

My Auntie, who is on her mid60’s would wake up so early in the morning to fetch a pale of water in the neighbor’s well. She had to fill the few buckets at their house for her husband and 2 unmarried sons. She cooks breakfast and prepare their lunch boxes. After they’re all gone to work, she’d clean the house, do the laundry, take an afternoon nap, cooks dinner and the routine continues the next day. I can’t believe after all those years, my Auntie still manage to do things for her kids. I remembered her doing the same routine when I was only 5 years old.

I was caught off guard about the thoughts running through my mind. Absolutely, we have different perceptions in life. At that time, I can’t even justify if I’m happier than her. I am full of ambitions, I struggled to fulfill my education and I felt like I’d become slave to my own wishes. Looking at her, I can only see a picture of a Mom who is willing to give everything for her family. I had seen an honest smile and a cheerful person. I never heard of her complaining or nagging. Too shy to ask, I just told my Mom about my observations of which was relayed to her in my presence. I blushed. All she said to me was “I’m happy doing all these things”.

She must have laughed at my ignorance. All this happened long ago, on my college days- and now, in God’s time, I had understood those things she was trying to tell me.
Shawie

5 Grateful Heart's Words:

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Gratitude is a trait that God values so much. Yes, there are so many things we ought to be thankful for. As they say, count your blessings and you will always be thankful and happy for the rest of your life. Your aunt discovered the value of doing things for the glory of God and the love of her family. That way, one will never become weary of doing things over and over again for the rest of one's life. Thanks for the philosophical post. God bless you always.

Jena Isle said...

Shawie, this is a post worthy of perusal.

If you look closely at your Aunt's daily routine, it may seem boring and even meaningless for you. But to her, the daily unchanging routine makes her happy, because she loves doing it.

Although the activity is boring to other people,she enjoys the activity because she is doing it out of love. She loves doing it. When you love doing something , no matter how boring or routine it is, you'll find it enjoyable and fulfilling.

I remember a quotation which goes this way: "Enjoy what you do, and you'll never work a day in your lifetime."

Applying this to one's career, we should select a job that would make us happy so we will be doing what we want and get paid doing it.

Great post , Shawie.

Joe-ann said...

Doing something that we love will never be a burdensome. It's the meaning that we put into our lives that makes the difference.

Btw, I have an award for you.just check it out if you have time.=)

Duni said...

Hi Shawie,
your story is full of wisdom. I wish more people would be grateful for small things and stop complaining!

have a wonderful weekend,

Duni

""rarejonRez"" said...

It's all about love Shawie!

Whatever work being entrusted to us, however heavy those tasks seemed to be, if we do things w/ love and passion, and all for God's glory, boredom never has a space in us. Your aunt seemed to live a very simply life, but I can tell she's fulfilled because she did everything with and in love!

At the end of the day, being thankful to God for the gift of life and of love is one of the things that matters!

thanks for your father's Day greetings to my swithart! I wish your dad one happy day as well! It's true, all holidays are commercialized nowadays, but not to us, who are not concern of material gifts at all! :) its the thoughts still that'll count! :)

great weekend to you, too!