Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Have I Told You Lately that I Loved You?


That’s the theme of the Holy Week. The gospel last Sunday (Palm Sunday) was one of my favorites of all time. It’s quiet long but very surreal to me. In fulfillment of prophecy (Isaiah 62:11 & Zechariah 9:9), Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a donkey. The crowds lined the street shouting "Hosanna! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord." (Psalm 118:25-26) They placed palm branches and robes in front of Jesus. This was particularly disturbing to the Pharisees who were jealous of Jesus. They insisted that Jesus silence the crowd, but he replied that even if the crowd were silent, the stones would cry out.

For me, the part that’s very remarkable was when Jesus told His disciples that it would be the time when their faith will be shaken. True enough, Judas betrayed Him for 30 silver coins after the Last Supper and Peter denied Him three times.

And the part that’s very confusing to me was this: “But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born." (Matt 26:24)

Even His close followers did not really understand the events of Palm Sunday and Holy Week until after Jesus returned. There are things that are still unanswered but I gave up on that; instead, I started living with the questions and there I have found the answers. I can’t really fathom with the depths of my understanding but I felt it in my heart. And that’s where I will nurture it. And that is enough for me.

As what St. Vincent Ferrer had said, “Christ, the Master of humility manifests His Truth only to the humble and hides Himself from the proud.”
Shawie

2 Grateful Heart's Words:

Alicia said...

Wonderful Shawie! John 3:16 The love God has for us by giving us his Son and the Love our Savior has by giving Himself to the Father is something my mortal mind cannot comprehend but I know it's true and I feel it in my heart. This is my favorite time of year. I heard a BEAUTIFUL talk this palm Sunday about the Atonement given by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the 12 Apostles.

Jena Isle said...

How nicely said Shawie, I absolutely agree. I sometimes, am proud because I refuse to listen to Him at times.