Friday, April 25, 2008

Let's Eat!


Food is probably the most popular topic in a Filipino community - either we are in our country or living outside the country. I remembered how skinny I was when I worked in Taiwan. I missed my Mom’s home cooking so terribly. Their foods are too exotic for me. Every time we got a chance to talk at work, we always count the number of foods we missed back home. It just goes on and on till we get hungry. Well, on any occasions, the best food you can eat is the lechon or the whole roasted pig. Hmmm, yum!

When Jim went to the Philippines and spent Christmas with my family, he was not eating at all. Yes, he jut missed his American food. He said, he felt sorry for the pig that was stuck in the butt, lols! I thought that was very funny because it’s our best cuisine. We all loved lechon.

It’s just amusing how cultures and lifestyle clashed sometimes. Some things can be fine in one culture but bad to some. Just like the way we prepare or eat fish. I for one just loved eating the eyeball part. I remembered how our father told us that he will just buy more eye balls next time because we were fighting for it. Or most of us do love the exotic food of dinuguan. It is a Filipino savory stew of blood and meat simmered in rich, spicy gravy of pig blood, garlic, chili and vinegar. The term dinuguan comes from the word dugo meaning "blood". Everytime, I mention these foods to my husband, he’ll just shake his head. It grossed him out, hahaha!

Hey! That’s our culture just like we are grossed at how the beef comes in rare, lols! Looking at it now, I felt like my husband is right- it seemed so brutal to cook a pig like that but then its how we are brought up with. Okay, that’s enough. It’s making me hungry.

1 Grateful Heart's Words:

mc said...

Hi there,

I am writing a blog about filipino foods as well and I wanted to know if I could use your photo of the dinuguan with your permission. You will also receive credit for the photo. Please let me know if it's okay. My email is marichrisd@gmail.com. Thanks so much! I'd greatly appreciate it.

Marichris