Thursday, May 29, 2008

Philippine Fiesta

When I was a kid, I always look forward for our fiesta. To me, it meant a lot of food, a lot of visitors including my cousins whom I only see during summer. I can still remember our neighbors have their own pigs in their backyards for the fiesta. Some have 2 or more. They bragged about it and were very proud that there’s going to be a big celebration!

(poor piggie, he doesn't know he's gonna be eaten tonight_:(

The word “fiesta” comes from the Spanish word. It is passed on by the Spaniards during their 330 years colonial rule in the Philippines. Presently, fiestas continue to be a heart of Filipino culture. It was initially observed to honor a saint or to commemorate a religious event. Processions, church services, competitions, parades, dancing and drinking are all essential parts of every festival, carried out with greatest enjoyment. Although the fiesta has become more secularized and now celebrates the founding of a specific "barrio" or town, the annual harvest of the main local agricultural crop, some historical or mythological event, or a combination; still it remains a picture of fun-filled activities.

Fiesta for me, is a celebration of “Thanksgiving” and “Reunion”. After a whole year of blessed health and good harvest; it’s time for the villagers to give back. It’s more of feeding people with the fruits of your harvest. When I came back home, the tradition had remained the same despite the crisis. Maybe they just don’t want the tradition to disappear. Oh, I noticed there are people that come out from their tribes-we call them "mountain people". You can see them grabbing a lot of food, put it in their plates, put it inside their plastic bags and will go back for more foods. It’s annoying sometimes because of course; they don’t know what table manners are. Oh well, I believe that’s what FIESTAS are all about, right? To feed the hungry- not to impress your rich friends with what you got.

4 Grateful Heart's Words:

Selerines said...

Which place it was? Looks nice.. Tell me... Is the pork too famous there
?

Shawie said...

yap, we are a pork-eater, hehehe! It's near to our place, in the island-Camiguin...

Wendy Lopez-Redaon said...

hello =)

pinoys are really like that I guess. Even if they don't have money they will even borrow money just to make sure they have "handa" on the day of the fiesta.

Shawie said...

exactly, girl! they go overboard sometimes and that's one thing I just don't understand but guess, that's our culture, hmmmm...